Most popular posts
- What makes great boards great
- The fate of control
- March Madness and the availability heuristic
- When business promotes honesty
- Due diligence: mine, yours, and ours
- Alligator Alley and the Flagler (?!) Dolphins
- Untangling skill and luck in sports
- The Southeastern Growth Corridors
- Dead cats and iterative collaboration
- Empirical evidence: power corrupts?
- A startup culture poses unique ethical challenges
- Warren Buffett and after-tax returns
- Is the secret to national prosperity large corporations or start-ups?
- This is the disclosure gap worrying the SEC?
- "We challenged the dogma, and it was incorrect"
- Our column in the Tampa Bay Business Journal
- Our letter in the Wall Street Journal
Other sites we recommend
Sitavig revolutionizes treatment for cold sores
Innocutis’s product – a novel delivery system for a well-established drug (acyclovir) – was recently featured on the cover of Dermatology Times and could help the scores of millions of people suffering from cold sores in the U.S. Herpes labialis is an extremely widespread condition, with between 20% and 40% of the adult population suffering from recurrent cold sores.
Sitavig® is a tablet which adheres to the gum above the incisor tooth on the side of the lip that is infected with a cold sore, providing sustained release of acyclovir – a drug that has been around for 30 years. This safe and effective delivery system results in fewer, shorter, and less severe outbreaks because the drug is released locally for 12-15 hours – during the period when the virus is attempting to replicate.
“There have been obstacles to overcome to ensure the optimal use of acyclovir and optimal healing,” says Stephen Tyring, M.D., Ph.D., principal investigator of a phase 3 double-blind, placebo-controlled trial on Sitavig (50 mg acyclovir, BioAlliance Pharma). “Compliance was always an issue when it was used five times a day in the oral form. We began recommending that patients use it three times a day and double the dose. In the case of the topical use of the medication, patients need to constantly reapply it. With this type of application, they simply put it in the right place and it stays there.”
Based on proprietary Lauriad® technology and patented until 2029 in the major territories, comes in the form of a mucoadhesive tablet which the patient places on the gum and which delivers a high concentration of acyclovir directly to the lip, the site of the cold sore infection. In addition to its efficacy, Sitavig® offers the major advantage of a particularly unobtrusive and simple formulation with a single application for the episode’s entire duration, particularly adapted to patients suffering from recurrent herpes sores.
Innocutis is a pharmaceutical company specializing in the development and commercialization of therapies focused on medical treatment of dermatological conditions, with a portfolio of established branded prescriptions. Innocutis meets growing unmet medical needs is this specialty and with “best-in-class” therapies, provides clinicians with improved solutions for the management of daily challenges experienced in their practice.